The Brodian Guards

Warhammer 40K Imperial Guard

12/03/2010

3D Scratchbuilding (the future?)

Posted by Unknown |

So, those that know me know that I have a background in 3D art, NURBS modelling, and producing miniatures from that kind of technology. With my reunion with my Praetorians I had a chance to really look at my Heavy Weapon options and ... I was never happy with the Mordian guns. I wanted something more "steampunk."

So, I fired up my old 3D NURBS software and designed a new one. It's magnetic with options to swap out either the Autocannon barrel or the Heavy Bolter barrel. Here are the original in-software graphics (scaled to a 60mm base and IG sized "waldos" for size reference).

The gun carriage is inspired by Napoleonic era "block trail" French artillery sledges and the wheels are inspired by WW1 era field artillery. The guns themselves are obviously heavily modified from the Games Workshop in-game pieces so as to satisfy IP law.

AC Mode


HB Mode


I am printing the gun via a service called Shapeways.com in the Netherlands and it costs about $11 to create one gun kit which includes shipping (minimum order $25). I have to provide a length of 1/8th inch styrene tube to make the AC barrel and a base.

It arrived today (the below photo was taken by a buddy of mine who had it shipped to him because he bought a few other things I had 3D designed).



Stay tuned for updates as I go and get, assemble, prime, paint, and base my new toy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment